Founder Mr. Paul Pang Ka Wa
Mr. Pang Ka Wa, Paul is the most experienced music therapist, and the first person who practices music therapy in Hong Kong. By far, he has over 30 years of experience with over 20,000 hours of clinical work with children with autism. Studying the learning characteristics of children with special needs (especially autism), incorporating large amount of specially designed music activities and self-composed kid songs, and integrating behavioral music therapy techniques, he has founded a unique therapy system named “Pang’s Music Assisted Training”.
- 1983 graduated in Florida State University majoring in music therapy.
Studied with Dr. Clifford Madsen and Dr. Jayne Standley who are internationally renowned music therapist and researcher.
- 1984 has become a Registered Music Therapist with the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA). 1989 Obtained a Certificate in Special Education in the Sir Robert Black College of Education
- 1990 has founded Hong Kong’s first music therapy centre.
- 1989 to 1990 The Curriculum Development Council of the Education Department in Hong Kong had invited him to help draft a music curriculum for the special schools of the mentally handicapped.
- 1994 has obtained a certificate in Auditory Integration Training in USA and become an AIT practitioner.
- 1995 to 2004 He had served as Clinical Training Director of the AMTA and Pang’s Music Therapy Centre had also been recognized as an approved clinical training site by the AMTA.
- 2004 had obtained a qualification N eurologic Music Therapist from the Center for Biomedical Research in Music , Colorado State University.
- 2007 designated a title Neurologic Music Therapy Fellow (NMTF).
- 2010 June had completed a Master program from the Monash University (Australia) and obtained a Master degree in Counseling.
Apart from his rich clinical experience, Mr. Pang has dedicated in music therapy staff program design, development as well as instruction. He has conducted well over two thousand hours of training programs and workshops for the educational, rehabilitation, medical and commercial organizations in Hong Kong so far. He has created a 105-hour program (9 modules) named Professional Certificate in Music Therapy (Children with Special Needs) in 2005 and at the same time, launched the first enrolment. He has been teaching “Introduction to Music Therapy” for the HKUSPACE since 1992; and he had served as part-time lecturer for the Education Department, University of Hong Kong teaching an elective “Music Therapy and Students with Special Needs” from 1998 to 2003. He has lectured and conducted numerous training programs and workshops for organizations in Hong Kong including the Hong Kong City University, Hong Kong Institute of Education, the Hong Kong Spastic Association, Heep Hong Society, Tung Wah Group of Hospitals, and the Hong Kong Arts for the Disabled. He has also developed “The Use of Music in Stress Management” program and had conducted the program for Jones Lang LaSalle, Reuters, Cathy Pacific, AT&T and Music Office since 2007.